I love making frittatas especially when I am alone, I usually have leftovers from the previous week, and no one likes to let them go. By making this quick and very versatile dish you can use those leftovers, and it is good for you!
Making a frittata only really requires you to have an oven-safe pan, most people use a cast iron pan. I am particularly fond of my Cuisinart set. They have handled the daily use for years and are still in great shape.
For this particular Frittata, I used leftovers consisting of kale, broccoli, ham, asparagus, and tomatoes. Of course, eggs are a mandatory addition to this dish.
Start with your vegetables and meat (if you want meat) in a pan (oven proof) and add water to cover the bottom. Cover and simmer, once the vegetable mixture is almost done, remove the cover and allow the water to evaporate.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
While the vegetable mixture is cooking take this time to prepare your eggs. I mixed 8 eggs with garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and dill. You of course could add whatever your heart desires.
I know some want a description of how much spices to put, however, for something like this I do it based on taste, I know what I like and how I like to have it. If you like a particular spice combo use that one by all means. This is your creation after all.
Once the vegetables are tender add some butter (there will still be some water and this is fine), stir once the butter starts to melt.
Add the egg to the vegetable mixture, do not stir, just pour it over the mixture.
I added tomatoes at this stage, I have also done this with the sprinkle tomatoes and it was really nice. Fresh pops of tomatoes add a great texture to the frittata.
Pop that sucker into your preheated oven for about 20 minutes. Ovens vary so keep an eye on it, once the pan can be moved and the mixture stays firm it is done.
Your final frittata results are in, and it was incredibly delicious.
Laura Loving Life
A fresh, light, Italian-inspired recipe perfect for a late summer breakfast or dinner.
- 8 eggs (for a round 12-inch pan)
- Spices of your choosing
- Vegetables of your choosing
- Kale=1 cup
- Asparagus=9 spears cut up
- Broccoli=1/2 cup
- Tomatoes=3 roma
- proteins of your choosing (or none)
- Ham=1 1/2 slices chopped Sausage, chicken, or turkey
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place vegetables (minus Tomatoes if using them) and proteins into a 12″ pan with 1/4 cup of water
- Allow to simmer covered until almost tender, remove cover and allow water to evaporate
- Mix eggs with spices
- Once vegetable mixture is tender, add butter and stir to melt (there may be some water still in the pan, this is fine)
- Add cut tomatoes or sprinkles to the top of the egg mixture.
- Place in preheated oven for 20 minutes (ovens vary) once the mixture is firm the frittata is done.
One Comment Add yours