Egg Nog was used with a bit of rum extract to give this breakfast a real punch. I made this Christmas Morning, along with our traditional eggs Benedict. I think a big breakfast Christmas Morning is more important than a huge dinner. It is a tradition in our home to have breakfast then open gifts. I love the anticipation this creates. Anyone with any brains will tell you in life, anticipation is the key, more generally, anticipation is a central motivating force in everyday life – ‘the normal process of imaginative anticipation of, or speculation about, the future’ To enjoy your life, you need to be able to suffer the pains and pleasures of anticipation and deferral.’ This creates a happiness that is seen when we wait for the inevitable outcome. At this particular time it was watching your loved ones receive gifts. LOVE IT!!
To create this dish you will need the following. A slow cooker..
3 containers refrigerated biscuits, cut in half (48 biscuits total)
1 1/2 cup eggnog
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, divided (half is to sprinkle on top just before cooking)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon rum
Line a large crock pot with a crock pot liner <— Preferred (or aluminum foil) and grease.
Whisk together all ingredients (other than the bread) in a medium bowl.
Cut each biscuit in half and roll into a ball.
Roll each biscuit in the eggnog mixture and stack in the crock pot. Pour the remaining batter into the crockpot and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon.
Place a paper towel over the top of the crock pot and cover with lid. Cook on high for 2 -3 hours – checking often after two as not all crockpots heat the same. As the paper towel soaks up the steam you may need to change it to make sure that the water does not drip back into the bowl. This would cause your beautiful toast to be squishy and loose.
Lift the monkey bread out of the crock pot and turn out onto a serving plate. I added maple syrup to several little bowls to be used to dip it in. My husband loved this soo much. I believe this would feel 6 people or more. What a great breakfast idea on a cold wintry Sunday morning.
Hope you enjoyed the post. I can be reached at LauralovingLife@hotmail.com
- 25 Christmas Breakfast Ideas & ‘Your Great Idea’ Link Party (oneshetwoshe.com)
- Eggnog French Toast (moonlightkitchenmusings.com)
- Eggnog French Toast (evanescentepiphany.wordpress.com)
- Try This: Crock Pot Caramel (abeautifulmess.com)
- Holiday Recipe: Eggnog Breakfast Bread Pudding – Recipes from The Kitchn (thekitchn.com)
- A Hearty Crock Pot Chicken Stew (mommyshecticlife.wordpress.com)
- Crock Pot 3 Bean Buffalo Chili (beatcancer2010.wordpress.com)
- Eggnog French Toast (theandreagaston.wordpress.com)
- Eggnog French Toast (dinnerduel.wordpress.com)
- French Toast Balls (thepinterestedparent.wordpress.com)