What is more comforting that creamy tomato soup and warm grilled cheese? A day off from school and work is closed down, (I anticipated this) what better snowy day stuck indoors food could you ask for?
The Weather men/woman had been predicting a cold wintry blast of weather for our region this particular week. Of course our daughter was praying school would be canceled (Typical) and I of course knew it was going to be a day at home for us. In anticipation I wanted to have a comfort food for us to have on this particular day. After sleeping and stoking the fire, a wonderful brunch, all that was left was a nice warm comfort meal to carry us into the evening.
Why not transform the combination up a bit, just because we can. I want all the lip smacking taste that I remember as a child and as a mother giving to my children on cold rainy days.
Here we have grilled cheese sticks, perfect for dipping into the soup.
Throw together your favorite soup; I of course went for a thick creamy tomato soup.
We will make the cheese sticks with a cheese that melts fairly quickly, (I am not a big fan of processed cheese, but will use it if need be) I used Kraft singles. I know, I know, this is not even sold as a cheese, it is just called “Singles” with that being said, it is the cheese of yesteryear, what we all used to have as a family, what typically is used for grilled cheese (basic) sandwiches. I am not going gourmet today, I am going easy comfort food. Sometimes that is what is needed!
Flatten out your bread, we used wheat.
Cut the ends off, place a slice of cheese onto the bread and tightly roll. Make three per person (or more if needed) Cook in butter turning until crispy on the outside.
Serve with your soup.
What an easy meal, that has a bit of a whimsical twist.
I hope you enjoyed the post/recipe. If you would like to reach me you can do so at LauralovingLife@hotmail.com
- Panera Bread: Calories in Soups and Stews (weightloss.answers.com)
- Creamy Tomato Soup With a Grilled Cheese (weightloss.answers.com)
- Creamy Tomato Soup (Vegan) (gardenofgoodeatin.wordpress.com)
- A Kid’s Size Classic: Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese (potterybarnkids.com)
- Remembering Marcella Hazan (williams-sonoma.com)
- Ingredient Spotlight: Late-Summer Tomatoes (williams-sonoma.com)
- Perfect Recipes for a Rainy Day (americanfood.answers.com)
- Sunday Strategist: A Week of Healthy Menus – December 16-20 (simmerandboil.cookinglight.com)
- Spicy Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup Combo Recipe (kraftrecipes.com)
- my favorite tomato soup (chocolatehippos.com)