Great bread makes all the distinction in this simple recipe. The name of the sandwich comes from the local Provençal language, Niçard, in which pan-banhat and the alternative spelling pan-bagnat mean “bathed/wet bread”. It is often misspelled “pain bagnat“, with the French pain rather that genuine local pan. The sandwich can be made with tuna and a wide variety of other ingredients. The one thing you will never use with this sandwich; mayonnaise! This is an effortless recipe for the sandwich and a refreshing lunch that can be made a day ahead.
Ideally you will want to use a long Italian, or French loaf of bread. Day old is better.
When buying the ingredients’ make sure the tomatoes are ripe not firm.
4 vine ripened tomatoes
1 day old loaf of bread
1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
2 scallions chopped
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
Fresh cracked pepper and salt to taste.
Halve the bread lengthwise and pull out the soft inside pieces of bread, cut them into small pieces and place in a large bowl.
Cut the tomatoes in half and then using a spoon scoop out the pulp and seed (discard) chop the tomato shells and add to the bread in the bowl.
Transfer the parsley, scallion cheese to the bowl as well
In a small bowl combine the vinegar and oil with the salt and pepper. Mix well with the bread mixture and fill the bread loaf. Top with the second piece and tightly wrap in saran wrap.
Refrigerate overnight, this should make 4 nice hearty sandwiches.
Enjoy the recipe; I have a bunch more to come. If you would like to reach me you can do so by writing me at LauraLovingLife@Hotmail.com
- Around The World In 29 Sandwiches (buzzfeed.com)
- Today’s Recipe: Apple & Artisan Cheddar Panini (williams-sonoma.com)
- Tuna Melts (williams-sonoma.com)
- 8 Amazing Sandwiches You’ve Probably Never Heard Of (businessinsider.com)
- Weekend Entertaining: Grilled Cheese Party (williams-sonoma.com)
- Sandwiches I’ve known and loved, part 1 (thesandwichsaviour.wordpress.com)
- Vegetarian: Loaded Tortas With Avocados, Queso Oaxaca, Black Beans and Pickled Jalapeños (seriouseats.com)
- Vegan Tempeh Reuben Sandwich (onegreenplanet.org)
- My baking experience – Super-easy, no knead bread recipe. (techburgh.com)
- This is a Cheesy Blog Post (cutoffsandzories.wordpress.com)