I have to say I am not a huge fan of short ribs. Mostly because I don’t think there is a significant amount of meat on them compared to the cooking time. Now that I am using the pressure cooker I thought what the heck I will give it a try and see how they come out. Short ribs are really inexpensive and make a great meal when cooked right. I saw on Pinterest a guineas cooked short rib and a couple other recipes and came up with this one for us. The meat fell off the bone and, it was so very tender. The flavoring was truly spectacular, with a really great taste. The sides are explained below by themselves, should you choose to use them. Ribs are great with mashed potatoes or anything you feel would be a great accompaniment to them.
1 can tomato paste
4 scallions chopped (use as a garnish when finished as well)
1 medium onion rough chopped
2 tablespoons of minced garlic
Salt and pepper (I also used Montreal seasoning blend)
I served this with a butternut squash puree as well as collard greens and bacon.
In a pressure cooker heat oil, while heating season your ribs (again I used Montreal seasoning blend) once the oil is hot, brown the ribs.
After you have browned the ribs add the onion, scallions, garlic and beer. Again if you need more liquid to cover it use beef broth.
Set the pressure at 70 and cook for 25 minutes
While cooking prepare your sides.
The butternut Squash is made by boiling a small squash until soft. I added sour cream and butter, with salt and pepper. Using an inversion blender get it to the consistency of a puree. (This is really YUMMY)
The Collard greens are made by removing the ribs of the greens and chopping it up. Add to a pot with a bit of butter and ½ cup of the beef broth (or water if you have none) cook down for about 15 minutes. Add crumbled bacon and a bit of garlic minced (to taste) continue to sauté. I find that collard green DO NOT need additional salt, when you cook them they have such a salty flavor already that adding salt really overpowers the dish.
I hope you enjoyed the recipe and as always should you want to contact me you can at LauraLovingLife@hotmail.com
- Easter Sunday Beef Short Ribs with Southern Style Creamy Grits and Collard Greens (afoodiegrowsinbrooklyn.com)
- Short Ribs – Estofado de Carne (mexicraverecipes.com)
- RECIPE: Butternut Squash Soup (pe.com)
- Simple Butternut Squash Soup (twohappymamas.com)
- Crocktoberfest: Yucatan Braised Short Ribs and Chipotle-Cheddar Mashed Potatoes (gustoandgrace.wordpress.com)
- Short Ribs over Cheesy Polenta (foodandeverythingelse.wordpress.com)
- Brown Sugar Butternut Squash (kimswhatsup.wordpress.com)
- Beef Stroganoff (homefresh.wordpress.com)
- Meatball Stroganoff (forovenssake.com)
- Butternut Squash-Sausage Soup (girlfriendscoffeehour.com)