Anyone who knows me understands that I am not big “sugary” enthusiast. I am partial to salty foods and snacks. I guess this could be good, but if you’re my husband or one of my children you would not think so. Raising the kids, I only had desserts on the weekends. I never made desserts for our meals during the week. I just did not see the need for it and frankly kids eat too much as it is; In my humble estimation, being as this is my blog my view here is all that counts LOL Ok ok ok I can handle a sweet now and again, just not like some of these people do, who die for the chocolate all the time. So for dessert tonight I made this apple crisp. It is not overly sweet and the apples have a very nice tang to them. I really rather enjoyed the way this turned out. If you like the house to smell good this would be a quick way to achieve that at the same time. Two for the price of one, how about that!!
5 granny Smith apples peeled cored and sliced thin
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/3 cup flour
1 cup light brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 ½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 stick butter softened
warm water (to fill the bottom of the baking dish)
In a bowl sprinkle the cut apples with lemon juice, this will prevent them from oxidizing and turning brown.
In a separate bowl mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and butter until it incorporates completely into a nice crumble.
Using a baking safe glass bowl layer apples, crisp, apple, crisp until all of it is gone, end with crisp on the top.
Push it down and make it all compact. Cover with tin foil.
In a shallow baking dish add the water, you want the water to cover the bottom of the bowl, but in no way do you want water to get into the apple crisp. (I find using a larger bowl helps with this)
Bake at 425 for 30 -40 minutes. Remove the tin foil and bake for an additional 5 – 10 minutes to brown the top a bit.
Serve with vanilla ice cream while hot.
I hope you enjoyed the recipe and as always should you want to contact me you can at LauraLovingLife@hotmail.com
- How to make apple crisp (giveme523.wordpress.com)
- Cocoa Apple Crisp with Chardonnay Caramel Sauce and Cocoa-Oat Streusel (dcdrecipes.com)
- Paleo Apple Crisp (theshooz.wordpress.com)
- apple cranberry pistachio crisp – I need to feel them (bitebymichelle.com)
- Real Deal Apple Crisp (thethirdcoastyankee.wordpress.com)
- Apple Crisp (pixieinthekitchen.wordpress.com)
- Grandma’s Apple Crisp (homestylecookingrecipes.com)
- Apple Crisp (nortononfood.wordpress.com)
- Swedish apple pie (kitchenreport.wordpress.com)
- Apple Crisp W/Bourban Cream (foodandeverythingelse.wordpress.com)