I made this several weeks ago, I was really craving pasta, which I have been avoiding like the plague! Don’t get me wrong I love me some carbs, but it is in the general eating better that I find myself watching our (Yes OUR, as in the entire family) intake! This one pot meal can be easily changed up to accommodate the different tastes in your particular family. Use Turkey or ground chicken instead of the beef. Try a different pasta.. Really all recipes are just the starting board for anyone, and I know it to be true; everyone wants to make changes to recipes, to make it all their own. To create a meal that is more to their liking..
You will need
1 lb 93%fat free ground beef
1 white onion chopped
1 red onion chopped
1 or two jalapeño peppers seeded and diced
1 can of red beans drained and rinsed
1 ½ cups of stewed tomatoes chopped
1 cup of tomato sauce
2 tablespoons minced garlic
shredded reduced fat Mexican blend cheese
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup dry pasta (whole wheat preferably)
Put your pasta to boil in salted water
Chop all of the vegetables and have your ingredients ready.
Add the vegetables to a pan with oil along with the minced garlic
Sweat the vegetables, they will be soft but slightly firm when done. Not caramelized.
Add the beef and cook through
Once the beef is cooked add the pasta, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes and spices (to taste)
Enjoy the meal with a dollop of sour cream, or if watching the weight or eating healthier, use Greek non fat plain yogurt, I am telling you no one will notice! Sprinkle with some cheese and serve!
- Weekend Project: DIY Salsa Bar (williams-sonoma.com)
- Today’s Recipe: Spaghetti and Meatballs (williams-sonoma.com)
- Pasta Recipes Made Healthy (everydayhealth.com)
- Williams-Sonoma Wellness Collection: Cooking & Serving Ideas (williams-sonoma.com)
- Day 5 of 7 Running + a delicious chili recipe! (lowsugarlowcarbslongruns.wordpress.com)
- Insanely Easy Vegan Chili (vegcharlotte.wordpress.com)
- Smokey vegetarian (or vegan) chipotle chili…. nom nom nom… (sexyfoodadventures.wordpress.com)
- Zesty Homemade Tomato Sauce (ramenreduction.com)
- Chili Cook-Off Winning Recipes (bluemountain.com)
- Winter Turkey and Corn Chili (bluemountain.com)