this is a cucumber salad that is just this side of pickled. It is a wonderful light, revitalizing dish for either an appetizer or side salad. The minced ginger adds a really nice zing to this low calorie/zero fat side dish. I love the vinegar “tang”, sweetness with gingery taste in each bite. You can always adjust the amount of sweetness and tartness to your liking but the vinegar, sugar and ginger is key and what makes this dish. This is a type of pickling and the cucumber should be sliced as thin as you can, I used my mandolin and I recommend it to all! Out of all the recipes I make, this one I was not sure if my teenage daughter would like, but as always she surprises me and liked this component of our dinner the most!
2 large cucumbers, peeled
1/3 cup rice vinegar
4 teaspoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
Peel cucumbers and slice very thin.
In a small bowl combine vinegar, sugar, salt and ginger. Mix well. Place cucumbers inside of the bowl; stir so that cucumbers are coated with the mixture. Refrigerate the bowl of cucumbers for at least 1 hour before serving. The longer you let them sit the tangier they come out. A most wonderful taste and it is a great palette cleanser.
As you can see the cucumbers start to shrink as they sit in the vinegar. YUMMY!
I hope you enjoyed the recipes your comments are always welcome. You can also reach me at LauraLovingLife@Hotmail.com
Bon appétit LauraLovingLife
- Harusame Noodle Salad (junalacreme.wordpress.com)
- Mrs. Money: Unique Ways to Use Cucumbers When Your Vegetable Garden Runneth Over (savings.com)
- Asian Cucumber Salad (inspireandindulge.wordpress.com)
- Cucumber Salad (kamafitness.ca)
- Garden Fresh Cucumber and Tomato Salad (lowfat.answers.com)
- DIY salad jazzes up lunchtime (minnesotatransplant.wordpress.com)
- Cucumber Salad (alittleofeach.com)
- Russian Kitchen: Pickled cucumbers and vinegret (indrus.in)
- Best Lunch Salad Ever: Farro with Roasted Squash (smallworldsupperclub.com)