Spanish albóndigas can be served as an appetizer or main course, often in a tomato sauce, while Mexican albóndigas are commonly served in a soup with a light broth and vegetables. Of course this is the Mexican version. If you like a flavorful and hearty soup this is the one for you!! So easy and fast and has a cooked all day taste. If you don’t like too much spice make sure to use a mild salsa for this recipe. I wanted a bit more kick so I added a little chili powder as well. Serve this with some crispy bread fresh out of the oven to sop up the wonderful broth! Yummy
My Husband loved this meal; he really enjoyed the flavors and the mixture of sweet and spicy. If you don’t like Sweet Potato just use regular.
This will serve five or six a hearty serving each. Enjoy!
1 quart water
4 carrots, sliced
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 1/2 cups salsa, medium or hot
Chicken bouillon 2 cubes
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/3 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
1/3 cup milk
3 celery stalks chopped
½ cup rice uncooked
3 cloves garlic (I used pre minced and a large spoon full)
Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
fresh parmesan (optional) I used to throw on top at the end only because I love the pungent flavor it brings to the table.
In a large pot, bring water, carrots, potatoes, celery, onion, salsa, and bouillon to a boil.
Reduce to a medium simmer, stirring occasionally, roughly 10 minutes. While the vegetables are cooking, mix the beef, salt, pepper, breadcrumbs, rice, garlic and milk together in a bowl.
Form into 1-inch meatballs, and drop into broth.
Return the heat to med high once the soup returns to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low cover and cook 20 minutes, or until meatballs are no longer pink in center and vegetables are tender.
Serve with sprinkled cilantro for garnish and cheese if you wish. I would also serve with a dollop of sour cream if I were to make this again. A great frosty fall or winter meal; Enjoy!
I hope you like the recipe! Feel free to contact me at LauraLovingLife@hotmail.com
You only live once, why worry about sticking to the recipe, create your own and use what you want. Who will care? Most often you will surprise yourself and those around you!
- Albondigas Soup (Low Carb Version!!) (gigikitty.wordpress.com)
- Sweet potato ginger soup with sesame broccoli (charlotte.news14.com)
- 3 Brilliant Ways to Dress up Chicken Noodle Soup (everydayfamily.com)
- Turkey Meatball Soup (mexicraverecipes.com)
- 77 Healthy, Delicious Crock-Pot Recipes (thedailymuse.com)
- VIDEO: Roasted Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (ipentimento.com)
- Recipe: Bean Soup with Avocado Salsa (mnn.com)
- Sweet Potato, Carrots, and Lentils Soup (theroxxbox.com)
- LIME & GINGER SWEET POTATO SOUP – Look out for my “Power Foods Diet – Hearty Healthy Soups” eBook coming soon! (powerfoodsfitness.com)
- Maple Sweet Potato Soup with All Spice Greek Yogurt (vegetarianventures.com)