I love Banana Bread and I really wanted to make it as a gift and came across someone who made them in canning jars. WOW what a great idea. So i thought why not and just wanted to share for all of you out there who like to bake for your friends and family! You can use boxed bread mix or the recipe below, if using boxed add mashed bananas to it to keep it really moist. It also makes it a little denser and I love to have nice thick bread.
Make the batter however you see fit.
2/3 cup shortening
2 2/3 cups white sugar
2 cups mashed bananas
2/3 cup water
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2/3 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease insides of 8 (1 pint) straight sided, wide mouth canning jars. ( I used 10 smaller jars)
In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, bananas, and water. Sift together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Add to banana mixture. Stir in nuts.
Pour mixture into greased WIDE MOUTH pint jars, filling 1/2 full of batter. Do NOT put lids on jars for baking. Be careful to keep the rims clean, wiping off any batter that gets on the rims.
Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, sterilize the lids and rings in boiling water.
As soon as cake is done, remove from oven one at a time, wipe rims of jars and put on lid and ring. Jars will seal as cakes cool. Place the jars on the counter and listen for them to “ping” as they seal. If you miss the “ping”, wait until they are completely cool and press on the top of the lid. If it doesn’t move at all, it’s sealed.
Jars should be eaten immediately or kept sealed in refrigerator for up to a week.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! If you should want to get in touch with me please feel free to email me at LauralovingLife@Hotmail.com
- Banana Chai Bread (michaelericoberlin.wordpress.com)
- Banana Bread (crueltyfreerecipes.com)
- Banana Date Nut Bread (meggieskitchen.wordpress.com)
- How to Make Home Made Banana Bread (homebreadmaking.com)
- Paleo-ish Banana Bread Muffins (myelephantring.com)
- Chocolate Chip-Cherry Banana Bread (nancycreative.com)
- Banana bread, hearty and warm (ramblingprose.wordpress.com)
- Gail’s Banana Bread (whatchamakinnow.blogspot.com)
- Banana Bread… Smells Like Home! (amorebicicappuccino.com)
- No Added Sugar, No Grains, Easy and Amazing Banana Bread (jinkyfer.wordpress.com)
2 Comments Add yours
Thanks for featuring my recipe 🙂 I’m OBSESSED with this idea. These are TOO, too cute. I look forward to borrowing the idea.
Your welcome! Borrow away, I saw it on the net and figured why not! They are great I gave them to my neighbors as gifts. Have a great day ~ Laura