With the cold wet weather we have been having, what better way to spend an evening than in front of the TV with some warm satisfying soup! Amazingly enough this is loaded with vegetables more than it is with the starch, but each creamy mouthful tastes just like a decadent loaded baked potato. I thought I would need cheese to pull it together but it was so very creamy and flavorful it really did not need it at all. This took maybe 45 minutes to pull together, so it is an easy dinner for those cold winter nights!
1 green pepper chopped
4 stalks of celery (including the leafy heads) chopped
4 cloves of garlic minced
Fresh thyme about three teaspoons
3 bay leaves
Salt and pepper
32oz chicken broth (low sodium)
2 carrots julienned
1 red onion chopped
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 package bacon, chopped and cooked until crispy (reserve some for garnishing the bowl)
24oz small red potatoes chopped
Shredded cheese (I did not use)
Green onion chopped
½ stick butter
Throw all the vegetables and butter into a large pot along with the garlic and some salt and pepper. Sauté until most all of the ingredients are soft.
While they are cooking cook the bacon, and strain the grease when crispy
Add the potatoes, thyme, bay leaves, cooked bacon (reserving some for garnishment) and chicken broth and boil until the potatoes are soft.
You will be left with a minimal amount of liquid and mostly the soft ingredients.
Allow to cool a bit, then using a blender or similar device blend the ingredients until smooth.
Put back on the stove add cream and heat back up.
Garnish the soup with a dollop of sour cream, green onion, bacon and cheese if you like.
This was so incredibly good, there will be a tiny bit left over and I think that will serve as a great lunch one day following.
Enjoy the recipe, if you would like to contact me please feel free to do so at LauraLovingLife@hotmail.com
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup (teacher-chef.com)
- Creamy Potato and Broccoli Soup (challengeu2cook.wordpress.com)
- Cook this tonight: Lime and ginger sweet potato soup (metro.co.uk)
- Italian Chicken Soup with “Toasted” Parmesan Gnocchi (mpcasavant.wordpress.com)
- Cuban Black Bean and Potato Soup Recipe (thefitlifejournal.wordpress.com)
- Root for homely celery root (cynthia-david.com)
- Creamy Moroccan Chickpea Soup (mycookinglife.com)
- Pepper Jack Potato & Bacon Soup ~ (oneshetwoshe.com)
- Kiki’s Kitchen: Tomato Bisque Soup w/ Thyme Olive Oil Croutons (thefashioncamp.com)
- Crock Pot Loaded Potato Soup (thecocinamonologues.com)
7 Comments Add yours
oh my, does this sound good!
It was amazing and really simple to make. I am looking forward to having the leftovers on Sunday!! thank you for the comment!
and it will make lovely leftovers
This looks amazing! am bookmarking this recipe for when Autumn sets in and it gets chilly here in Buenos Aires!! love, felicia
Ah to have to wait for the chilly weather. Lucky Duck!! Let me know if you use it would love the feedback!
It’s always great to hear from you.