Indian cuisine encompasses a wide variety of regional cuisines native to India. When my son asked that we have an Indian themed family dinner I really was not sure what to cook. A lot of the Indian culture is vegetarian and the foods are colorful and spiced with “intense flavors” I frankly was having a hard time finding something I thought he would enjoy. After some research I came up with a meal that consisted of Chicken Curry, Makkai ki roti (a flatbread) cucumber raita, and a nice dessert of Ras Mailai. Over all the meal was a great success. All the flavors came together, and the flavor profile was marvelous. I love trying new things and when they turn out exceptionally well it pleases me so much. There was the spice from the Serrano chilies, which were the expected flavor, as well as the nice curry in the chicken. The meal took some time to prepare and cook, but in the end it was well worth it and I think next time I would be better prepared to do it in a shorter time frame.
I shall highlight one recipe and then do a separate blog for the other recipes.
First I made the Cucumber Raita so it could sit in the fridge and allow the flavors to marry.
An easy, cooling accompaniment to spicy dishes. Try it with Tandoori Chicken.
• 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
• 2/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
• 1/2 teaspoon honey
• 1/2 teaspoon rice-wine vinegar
• Pinch of ground cumin
• Dash of Tabasco, or other hot sauce
• Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a bowl. Add cucumber, yogurt, cilantro, honey, vinegar, cumin and hot sauce. Stir to combine. Season with pepper.
Enjoy the recipes, and let me know if you have any feedback I can be reached at LauraLovinglife@Hotmail.com
- Herbily Every After (natalieharrisnutrition.wordpress.com)
- Kakdi Raita or Cucumber Raita (Cucumber Yoghurt Relish) (aahaaram.wordpress.com)
- Syn Free Prawn Curry & Raita (laura94b.wordpress.com)
- The Spiciest Dish in the World (and How to Make it) (theflyingfugu.com)
- 8 Magic Foods that Will Make You Feel Great (theflyingfugu.com)
- Poached Salmon with Cucumber Raita (01.10.13) (fox13now.com)
- Spicy lamb kofte with cooling pomegranate raita (thechillipad.wordpress.com)
- Indian Recipes: 30 Easy Takes On Masala And More (PHOTOS) (huffingtonpost.com)
- The streets of Zurich: Langstrasse: Lily’s (flaneriefeminine.com)
- A night out in Chelsea (lilconqueror.com)