I love making chili, and there are so many different ways to make little changes to it and create a new piece of work each and every time. I wanted to have the sweet to the chili but I didn’t want to add sugar so I decided that using a yam in the mix would give it the sweet element it needed. I also used chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for the spicy side of this recipe. In the end this was a really hearty meal that was truly a great end to a chilly winter day!
You will need
1 yam (peeled and cut into bite size pieces)
1 large onion cut into strips
1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (chop the peppers & reserve sauce)
1 can red kidney beans
3 cloves garlic chopped
1 can Cannellini beans
3 large tomatoes chopped
1 bunch of cilantro chopped
Green onions Chopped (for garnish)
1 lb ground beef cooked
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons garlic powder
Corn bread (optional)
Brown the beef and set aside.
Cut the onions and Yam and cook in some olive oil with the chopped garlic until soft.
Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes to allow all the flavors to marry.
Serve this up with some corn bread, to change it up a bit, cut the cornbread into a nice circle set in the plate and add the chili around it.
Top with cream cheese (I use Greek yogurt to cut back on the calories) top with a bit of cheese and serve.
This again was a very warming meal. It is hearty so a little goes a long way. Enjoy as always!
I can be reached at LauraLovingLife@hotmail.com
I find that if I just taste everything and eat small portions I maintain my weight. I watch my fat intake, but I eat hearty.
- Smoky Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili (yinyangyogis.wordpress.com)
- Results of Our 1st Annual Moz Chili Cook-off (seomoz.org)
- Chili Seasoning Mix (prepperpenny.com)
- How To Make a Very Good Chili – Cooking Lessons from The Kitchn (thekitchn.com)
- Hearty White Chicken Chili (chewoutloud.com)
- Vegetarian Chili Recipe (healthyhitsthespot.com)
- February 03 – Serious Chili con Carne – Recipe (abigslice.typepad.com)
- Chef Elle’s Bumper Crop Chili (wreg.com)
- Recipes: Healthy Meatless Burgers to Try This Weekend (davidvalefitness.wordpress.com)
- Super Bowl Recipe Month: Dip Spectacular! (kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com)