Ok, as I said in a previous post I use my leftovers (If I have any) on Thursday to make a nice frittata for the family. Frittata is an egg-based dish similar to an omelet or quiche, enriched with additional ingredients such as meats, cheeses, vegetables or pasta. It may be flavored with herbs. I love making these they are elegant and easy! You really can use them with anything you have in the refrigerator; any kind of veggies would work nice. Spinach and bacon with onion, green peppers onion and ham.. The combinations are endless. I had leftover spicy spaghetti squash which already has a ton of veggies in it. I however did not have a lot left so I added some onions and spinach.
To make a nice thin frittata (not all fluffy and cakey. The eggs make a nice binding element to the frittata and if you add milk or cream they fluff up a bit more than I like. If you want fluffy by all means use the milk or cream in the mixture) take 5 eggs and some cold water/milk and mix.
In a pan take your veggies with some butter and sauté. I used extra onions for this, as I said whatever you have in the fridge would work fine.
After the onions were soft I added my leftover squash and heated through.
I then added the spinach and covered to allow it to wilt down a bit.
Add the eggs all over the veggies. Top with shredded cheese if you like. If you have an oven proof pan once the eggs are firm transfer the pan to the oven and broil on high until browned on top.
If you don’t have an oven proof pan you can cover and cook on the stove until done. Or transfer the egg mixture to an oven safe dish and broil. I transferred mine to a pie pan.
Once done cut and serve with a nice crustini.
Enjoy this easy recipe and remember that this can be used to utilize all the leftover veggies you have in the fridge rather than chucking them. Makes a great breakfast as well.
I can be reached at LauraLovingLife@hotmail.com
- Parsnip and Herb Frittata (lattesandleggings.com)
- [Paleo] Sausage & Sweet Potato Frittata (inspireandindulge.wordpress.com)
- Baby Spinach Frittata with Sweet Potato Hash Crust (cookieandkate.com)
- Leftover Turkey Frittata (diethood.com)
- Christmas Morning Frittata (melindahinsonneely.com)
- 5 ways to cook dinner without shopping (cbc.ca)
- Ham, Mushroom & Swiss Cheese Frittata (kathyskoolkitchen.com)
- Mini Winter Fritattas with Sweet Potato, Onion, & Parmesan (vegetarianventures.com)
- Frittata (veggiezest.com)
- Five Great Ham Recipes for Breakfast (gthankyou.com)