I have a wonderful friend who hunts (bow and arrow type) I am sure he will correct me on that one! He does get a wonderful venison mix, and I asked if I could have some. I have never had venison before and I really wanted to try it, and to make a nice meal for my husband and me. He gave us two really nice venison steaks. I decided that I wanted to make a nice stroganoff type of meal but with my own turn to it.
The venison was very flavorful and really quite good. I am so going to butter my friend up to get a loin next time!! Love you DAVE!!
Can of lager beer (or two)
Pasta of your choice, we used pearl cous cous
1 lb venison steak Cut into thin finger sized strips)
3 tbsps flour
4 tbsps oil
3 tbsps butter
1 container of chive cream cheese
1 package wild mushrooms
1 bunch cilantro chopped
16 ozs sour cream
1 3/4 cups beef broth
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/4 cup white wine
Salt and pepper
Put the venison in a zip lock bag with the beer and allow to marinate for a day or a bit longer. The lager beer gives it a really nice undertone once cooked.
Cut the venison into strips or bite-sized pieces (your preference)
and chop the onion. Coat the venison in the flour, garlic powder and salt and pepper to your taste, set aside;
use half the butter and half the oil to a pan along with the mushrooms and the chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté until soft.
Add in the cream cheese, sour cream, beef broth and wine and stir to blend. Add the venison to the pan, along with the cilantro stir and simmer for about 5 minutes.
If it starts to get dry add the other half of the butter and oil (I needed to do this) Keep in mind that Venison cooks fast and you want it medium to medium rare at the very least the longer you cook it the tougher it will get.
I enjoyed my first toe into the proverbial waters of game meat cooking. My next exciting adventure would be duck breast!! Can’t wait for that one!
Serve over your favorite pasta.
- Roast Venison with Vegetables (mamapaleo.wordpress.com)
- Spicy Italian Cream Pasta (apronsandcammies.wordpress.com)
- Alternative Thanksgiving Meats: Venison (outsideonline.com)
- My love/hate relationship with venison (lauramariekallmeyer.wordpress.com)
- 12 Days of Cheer Day 11: Venison Roast (cottonandbrass.wordpress.com)
- Spicy Italian Cream Pasta (starsstripesandmilitarylife.wordpress.com)
- Venison & Lentils (jennysuethomas.wordpress.com)
- Venison Stew and Cooking with a Baby (shootsandroots.wordpress.com)
- Venison and pork tourtière (theglobeandmail.com)
- Venison and wild mushroom pie recipe (telegraph.co.uk)