A few days ago I made this alternative meatloaf recipe. I am firm in my belief to always use my recipe for meatloaf and I have not moved away from it for years. But in the light of a new day and getting more courageous in the kitchen I decided to switch it up a little bit. Why not add a bunch of additional things and make it a southwestern type of dish. Now that I have done this I think there could be many different ways to put a spin on the traditional “meatloaf” I have learned that many meatloaf recipes are interchangeable with meatball recipes, but with that being said I think you could add just about anything to this Meat mixture to create a whole new recipe for everyone to enjoy.
I served this with honey Cajun spiced Carrots and red bliss mashed potatoes. Just looking at the pictures makes me hungry again!
You will need
3 large tomatoes diced
1 or more jalapeños diced (seeds removed)
1 med red onion diced
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 bunch of cilantro chopped
The juice of one lime
½ cup panko bread crumbs
1 tsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
Cajun spices or any kind of spicy goodness you would like to use
1 ½ lbs ground Hamburg
1 egg beaten
Optional add 1 small can chipotles in adobe sauce
Combine all the ingredients in a mixer and combine well. Once it is all incorporated put it into a loaf pan and form edges (I made mine into little loaf pans) bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
While baking throw some carrots in boiling water until fork tender, remove and throw in some butter, about ¼ cup honey and Cajun seasoning.
Make your mashed potatoes (I am sure you all know how to do this by now) dish up with a nice baguette.
I did like the flavors of this meal, it was moist and really the tomatoes made a colossal difference. MMM wonder what else we can create!
- The Meatloaf Bakery Cookbook Giveaway! (lisacooking.com)
- Easy Recipe – Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf! (reach-yourpeak.com)
- The Mister’s Crock Pot Meatloaf (thriftysocialworker.com)
- Easy, Weeknight Meatloaf | 3 Ways (pasticheevents.com)
- SCD Restaurant-Style Meatloaf (sweetsandrelief.wordpress.com)
- Eat the Meatloaf and Like it (and a Happy Birthday to my wonderful Daughter) (davebernhardt.wordpress.com)
- Italian Meatloaf (familyrecipebooks.wordpress.com)
- September 20 – Meatloaf – Recipe (abigslice.typepad.com)